Unsuspecting computer users consider themselves to be doing favors for their friends with whom they are sending these referrals, but they are not the only ones jubilant with their discovery. They do not exactly feel it, but they are part and parcel of the mechanism which makes viral marketing promote and increase website visits like luscious pancakes.
Viral marketing is currently being used by most online business people because it works. Who would pass up the opportunity to have a website endorsed exponentially by all its users and viewers? However, not all viral marketing ploys work. Before you concoct your own viral marketing portal, here are a few basic things you need to avoid.
1. General Unhappy Perspective– One cannot do viral marketing without having a good dose of confidence that it will actually WORK. Even if you don’t communicate that directly to your marketing ploys, a disbelief for whatever you have set out to do has already started to sabotage your attempts.
2. Not-So-Viral Marketing– You need to be very competent or at par with other websites in viral marketing. Study other existing excellent viral marketers online and see what makes them secure the top spot. Timing is essential. Your viral marketing can backfire if you do it without researching first on your target groups and executing your moves in an unproper time. Conditioning is just as essential as the actual marketing itself.
3. The WIIFM (What’s in it for Me) Factor is Missing– Most people are encouraged to refer to friends only if they have something to get out of it. Some viral marketers forget this very important thing. Giving out rewards or incentives can boost or motivate every visitor to pull more people in. Watch out for the extremes of giving too many rewards, though. It must boost and not take the limelight off the main concept.
5. Giving up the first time– Some users tend to get irritated the first time they receive recommendations from friends. People behind viral marketing fail to anticipate this and end up giving up on what could have been a most promising buyer.
6. Too Many Details–This is a common and often committed mistake! No one would want to hang around that long just for one offer. There are other websites which would be less concise and yet drive the point home with pizzazz that yields a lasting
impression. Time is not just gold in viral marketing. It is everything. The fact that a person is surfing the Internet for
information already communicates that he or she is already trying to save time by retrieving information in the fastest
possible way. If websites offer good products but takes forever to load or for one reader to get to the bottom of the page,
it still would not be worth his time or looking effort, for that matter.
7. Hoops and Hurdles in Transactions– Related to the mistake above is the transaction hurdle itself. Given that you have
already convinced or gotten a buying signal from a customer, if the whole process is tedious and hard to follow, it will most likely dropped by the customer. No one would want to buy or refer something which is too intricate or complicated.
8. Lack of Uniqueness and Follow-up– Viral marketing needs to be continuous and not just a one-time big-time shot, and it
must not merely duplicate what is already available with other competitors. There must be something unique about the offer,
and at the same time, you must have a line of products prepared after the first purchase, in order to experience the
long-range effects of viral marketing.
distracted by other links within the page and click it in the middle of his or her evaluation of your offer. It may be an
affiliate website or an outside link, but it totally diverts the attention off your product and may lead him away from your
10. Lack of Assurance in Privacy– Privacy concerns are also important for every person who wants to take part in the process of viral marketing. Asking for referrals without making any assurance that the personal information to be given will be kept confidential and not forwarded to other websites makes a person think twice before typing up those email addresses.
After learning the abovementioned viral marketing boo-boos it will be definitely easier to work out your viral marketing campaigns.viral rewards